0Shares0000Walking back to unhappiness: Lewis Hamilton walks through the pit lane after he was forced to abandon qualifying on SaturdayHOCKENHEIM, Germany, July 22 – Lewis Hamilton’s spectacular victory was under threat Sunday when he was summoned to the stewards for an aborted pit stop during the safety car period of the German Grand Prix.The stewards summoned him to investigate a possible breach of the International Motoring Federation (FIA) Sporting Code when he crossed a line between the pit entry lane and the race circuit. Hamilton stormed from 14th on the grid to win the rain-hit race and regain the leadership of the world championship after title rival Sebastian Vettel crashed out in the treacherous conditions.Hamilton chose to stay out on his ultra-soft tyres during the safety sar period that followed Vettel’s accident, swerving away from pitting and crossing a patch of grass to re-join the straight.The stewards summoned Hamilton citing the code which states: “Except in cases of force majeure (accepted as such by the stewards), the crossing, in any direction, of the line separating the pit entry and the track by a car entering the pit lane is prohibited.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
The blaze stood at 80 percent contained. Crews had expected full containment on Aug. 3. Farther south, a brush fire in the Orange County hills was at a standstill after burning 77 acres of tall grass and steep brush land. The blaze near the 261 toll road was 80 percent contained and fire crews expected to complete fire lines around it Saturday evening, Orange County Fire Authority Battalion Chief Ed Fleming said. No buildings were threatened. “It’s not even moving,” Fleming said. The fire moved swiftly up steep slopes after it erupted but much of its progress was halted Friday by firebreaks and retardant-dropping aircraft. The fire was caused by a piece of molten metal ejected from the malfunctioning catalytic converter of a passing car on the toll road, he said.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LOS OLIVOS – A nearly month-old wildfire in northern Santa Barbara County expanded Saturday for the first time in several days, consuming over 200 acres of vegetation outside the blaze’s main burn area, officials said. The fire in the Los Padres National Forest had held steady at about 31,000 acres, or 48 square miles, since earlier in the week, but flared up again shortly after noon in the southeast corner of the San Rafael Wilderness area, fire service spokeswoman Juanita Freel said. Water-dropping helicopters and tanker planes were attacking the flames, and smoke was reported to be seen from as far away as Bakersfield, some 80 miles away, she said. Officials had no immediate plans to again ban visitors from the 800 square miles of forest land closed at the fire’s peak and reopened on Friday, Freel said, although about 153 square miles remained off-limits.